"Mary is a thoughtful, compassionate leader. She listens to the community and cares deeply about ensuring that all 4J students receive an excellent education."
--Jennifer Geller, Former 4J School Board Member
In September 2009, Mary was appointed to fill a vacancy on the Eugene School Board. Prior to this appointment, Mary served as a lay member of the 4J Budget Committee for ten years. Now, having served nearly ten years on the school board, Mary is running for re-election to Position 7.
During her tenure on the 4J School Board, Mary has twice served as board chair. She has also served the 4J Charter School Council, the 4J Instructional Policy Committee, the 4J Finance Committee, and the Vision 20/20 Committee. She is also the Eugene School District representative on the Lane Council of Government Board of Directors.
Mary has extensive experience and knowledge of government after working for over 35 years in state and local goverment. During her career, she worked in various administrative and management roles for the State of Oregon, Lane County, and most recently, the City of Eugene. After retiring from her career in public adminsitration, she worked for three years at United Way of Lane County as a Resource Development Manager.
Public service, community involvment, and a deeply held commitment to making our community a better place are among Mary's core values. In addtion to a career in public service, Mary has been an active volunteer many commuity organizations and in many of these has held leadership positions. Her resume includes:
- Board Member and Vice Chair, Lane Council of Governments, 2012-present
- River Road Community Organization Executive Board, 2015-2019
- Graduate of Emerge Oregon, 2012
- Oregon Horse Rescue Board Member and Treasurer, 2012-2018
- 4J Classroom Volunteer, 2010-present
- Certified Poverty Coach, Communication Across Barriers, 2009-2014
- Central Division Governor, District 7, Toastmasters International, 2011-2012
- Area 35 Governor, District 7, Toastmasters International, 2009-2011
- Board Member, Pacific Cascade Federal Credit Union, 2009-present
- Campaign Coordinator for Measure 20-137, 2008 (4J Local Option Levy)
- Loaned Executive United Way of Lane County Annual Campaign, Fall 2008
- Captain, Relay for Life (American Cancer Society), 2007, 2008
- President of Downtown Public Speakers Toastmaster Club, 2006-2007
- Chair of 4J Budget Committee, 2005-2006, 2008-2009
- Chair of 4J Financial Audit Committee, 2004-2006, 2008, 2009
- Campaign Coordinator forMeasure 20-90, Fall 2004 (4J Local Option Levy)
- Board Member and President, Greenhill Board of Directors, 2004-2006
- Super Volunteer Award, Lane Arts Council, 1998
- President, Lane Arts Council Board of Directors, 1996-1998
- Chair, Eugene Springfield Leadership Class Steering Committee, 1995-1997
- President, 1993 Eugene Springfield Leadership Class, 1992-1993