Mary is proud to have been a part of the significant progress in the past few years:
- approval of the bond to improve facilities
- increased P.E. and music time for students
- increased planning time for elementary teachers
- increased counselors in elementary schools
- improving graduation rates
- more pathways for success for all students
- providing fair compensation for employees
- full day kindergarten
Mary believes that doing what is best for students should always be at the core of any decision made by the school board. She also believes decisions must be made using an equity lens to ensure that the district continues to serve the needs of all students.
Mary recognizes that here will be challenges ahead for the school district. Funding is an ongoing issue, reducing class sizes, providing appropriate student and family supports so that all kids have a pathway to success. Mary will continue to be a passionate advocate for kids in our community.
"As a 4J parent and Eugene Education Foundation Board member, I am pleased to endorse Mary Walston. I agree with Mary's targeted interest in reducing class sizes and providing more comprehensive wrap around services which will help improve graduation rates. Public education is important to the entire community, when our schools are strong, our community is strong ."
Doing What is Best for Students
Mary understands the need for equity of opportunity for all students and is an advocate for kids.